Silly me, what was I thinking?

Random musings that Chris and the cats don't want to hear anymore...

Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Endless Christmas

On my way home from work today, I listened to the Beach Boys' "Pet Sounds." I can't begin to explain how much I love that album. I'm not sure what it is, but I know that some of that love is due to nostalgia. My parents had an odd collection of vinyl albums when I was growing up. On any given day, I could listen to Barbara Mandrell, Barbra Steisand, Neil Diamond, the original Broadway recording of "Jesus Christ Superstar," plant music (as in, the kind you play to plants), the 1812 Overture, Chinese folk songs, Anne Murray, the Carpenters, or the Beach Boys. For road trips, they taped the two-disc Best of the Beach Boys album (it was called "Endless Summer," I think) and the Carpenters and we'd listen to them in the car ad nauseum. So I have this irrational love of both the Carpenters and the Beach Boys. But still, "Pet Sounds"? Great album.

I also listened to "Smile," Brian Wilson's new album, and it's...different. I don't know boo about music though I know what they say about this being an album of epic proportions. All that's irrelevant to me. I just know that I like it so far. It plays like the score to an extravagant musical. Songs blend into one another, lyrics are a little out there (I especially love the songs about barnyard animals and vegetables), the music is an emotional rollercoaster. I don't know what it is, but the Beach Boys' music always makes me think of Christmas. Maybe it's the generous use of timpani drums, or the plinky-plinky-tinkle of keyboard or the plunk-plunk of the xylophone, or the crazy-good harmonies, but it always makes me think of warm fires, twinkle lights, and caroling.

1 Comments:

At 11:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Neil Diamond RULES! -mike

 

Post a Comment

<< Home