Silly me, what was I thinking?

Random musings that Chris and the cats don't want to hear anymore...

Thursday, November 20, 2008

So tired

I've been wanting to blog. When I'm in the shower, I start composing entries. But I can't seem to find that elusive intersection of time, energy, and state of mind necessary to sit down and write something.

So, in brief: Lilian You-Ying Hales-Yang was born on Saturday, November 1, at 4:30 a.m. She weighed 7 lbs., 15 oz. and measured 21 inches long. My water broke around 8 a.m. on October 31, so we thought we had a Halloween baby on the way, but she had different ideas. We were discharged from the hospital the following Monday and went home, where my family was waiting with open arms and hot food. The next 24 hours were among the worst of my life: my milk was late coming in, the baby was hungry, and we both cried for a lot of those 24 hours. The home-care nurse that UCSF sent and a nurse-practitioner in the pediatrician's office set us on a path back to happiness, my milk finally showed up, and we've been doing better and better since. At nearly 3 weeks old, she weighs over 9 lbs. and has thus far been a pretty chill baby. She cries, of course, but so far, we've been able to figure out why and remedy the situation. Our longest stretch of sleep has been about 4 or 5 hours each, but only because we each take a middle-of-the-night feeding (Chris gives her a bottle of expressed breastmilk). I still wake every time she so much as squeaks, though, so my 4-hour stretches of sleep are not without interruption.

I'm working on some posts, including a detailed version of the delivery (mostly for my benefit--there's some goriness involved) and some other stories and observations, but there's no telling how long that will take me.

This is currently my favorite picture of Lily:

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 10:18 PM, Blogger Julie said...

It's now March 13, 2009. I still haven't lost hope you will post the gory birth story you promised us :)

 
At 9:16 AM, Blogger Rita said...

I love that photo every time I see it!!! Glowing and beautiful!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home