Silly me, what was I thinking?

Random musings that Chris and the cats don't want to hear anymore...

Wednesday, June 23, 2004

Baseball and brains

Chris and I took a chance on the sold-out Giants vs. Dodgers game last night and snagged SRO tickets from a guy out front. Good game, too. Of course, we left during the 8th inning (after the Giants regained the lead in the bottom of the 7th), just before they went on to score about four more runs. The last time we had SRO tickets, we left during the 7th, and just as we were getting on the train outside the ballpark, we heard the crowd crescendo into a roar. Barry Bonds had hit one into McCovey Cove. The lesson, kids? Never leave PacBell Park in the middle of a game!! (Oh, 'scuse me, SBC Park. Doesn't have the same ring. Ha.)

I always feel kind of torn when SF plays L.A. It's the same feeling I get when Houston plays SF or L.A., a kind of lingering loyalty to my former homes. Of course, the San Francisco crowd gets all rabid and "BEAT L.A.!!" and shit, but a small part of me still roots for the Dodgers. Just very quietly. My first baseball game was a Dodgers game in 1992, I believe, and Orel Hershiser pitched a no-hitter. Not that I really understood the significance of it at the time. The only reason I remember is because the friend who took me was freaking out afterward.

Oh, and I was very excited to learn that people now hawk rubber chickens with the Giants logo. I find chickens inherently funny, so this was fantastic news for me. And don't you think the game would be more exciting if the infielders could hit the runner with the ball to tag him out? Don't you?

Enough about baseball.

I'm starting to feel like a housewife these days. Because Chris is up to his eyebrows in bar review and because he's supporting me financially while I look for work, I feel I can best contribute to this household by taking care of the housework and errands. Which is great, because I don't feel like a slacker, but I think my brain is liquefying and leaking out my ears. Seriously, I think I'm getting stupider by the day. And before you get your dander up, I'm not slagging housewives or stay-at-home moms. My mom stayed at home after my sister was born, and she's no dunce. It's just that I've been approaching this as a temporary situation, so I haven't made any effort to find a regular hobby that's intellectually stimulating. And I'm pretty sure wedding planning isn't helping. I'm just getting overwhelming urges to squeal and wear pink. Feel free to slap me if I do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home