Silly me, what was I thinking?

Random musings that Chris and the cats don't want to hear anymore...

Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Anti-evolution teachings gain foothold in U.S. schools / Evangelicals see flaws in Darwinism

Anti-evolution teachings gain foothold in U.S. schools / Evangelicals see flaws in Darwinism

I don't even know how to respond when I read things like this. Usually, when I hear of such backwards thinking, I let myself believe that it's a small, freakish minority that's getting a lot of attention because their beliefs are just so out there. But is this moving into the mainstream? Is this something I'll have to deal with when my kids are in school (heh...yet another reason why I'm going to stay on the coast)?

If you scroll down through the article, you'll find a small bit about how Boards of Education in Texas affect the textbooks that large parts of the country use. They insisted that the publishers print that abstinence is the only form of birth control and that a marriage is a "lifelong union between a husband and a wife." They even disagree with the use of "partners" when talking about sex or birth control.

This makes me ill...

3 Comments:

At 2:29 PM, Blogger Julie said...

Check out these textbook disclaimers. Need to distribute these among the discontented youth of America and do some heavy sabotaging on those textbooks...

 
At 2:30 PM, Blogger Julie said...

Sorry, I made a typo in the previous comment:
http://www.swarthmore.edu/NatSci/cpurrin1/textbookdisclaimers/

 
At 8:04 AM, Blogger Felisa said...

Hahahahaaa...that's AWEsome. The image of a band of renegade parents in Georgia, sneaking into the school late at night to re-sticker all the textbooks? Hilarious!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home