Silly me, what was I thinking?

Random musings that Chris and the cats don't want to hear anymore...

Thursday, December 01, 2005

Inappropriate!

I’m so dumb. I think it’s the weather. The gray, rainy weather makes my brain sleepy. I could barely drag myself out of bed this morning and in fact, went back to bed after being up for 5 minutes. Anyway, the brain fog made me forget to bring my sweater to work today. I have this old, black, button-down sweater that is neither stylish nor in great condition. In fact, I think it was my mom’s. I found it in my luggage after a trip to my parents’ house and just haven’t given it back. Despite its raggedy looks, I love this sweater because it’s the perfect layering piece for the office. I can wear a tank top or a short-sleeved shirt and throw on the sweater if it gets too chilly in the office. It’s like the perfect sweatshirt you wear around the house all winter, only a little nicer.

This morning, I put on a sleeveless shirt, with the intention of putting on the sweater at work. I have this Mr. Rogers-like routine where I get to my desk, peel off my jacket, and pull on the sweater (I generally don’t change my shoes, though). I got to work today, shrugged out of the jacket…and realized that I’d forgotten to shove the sweater in my bag. (I don’t wear it to work because the combination of the puffy jacket plus the sweater plus the humid, stuffy bus is just too much to bear. I am a little princess-y when it comes to comfort.) So do I sit here without sleeves while it’s 50 degrees outside? Clearly, it’s not 50 degrees inside, but I feel silly because this shirt is definitely not weather appropriate and I love to laugh at girls who wear skimpy outfits in freezing conditions in order to look hot, not realizing they actually look stupid. And it really is too cold inside for sleeveless tops. Or do I go ahead and wear my puffy jacket all day at my desk, which also looks dumb and like I’m waiting for my chance to escape out the door (which, duh, I totally am, but I don’t need for everyone to know that). Bah, I think I lose either way.

Edited to add: I...did something...to my problem, but I think saying that I solved the problem is giving me too much credit. During lunch, I ran down to Jeremy's, the little used/overstock store down the street. Jeremy's is not "used" as in Salvation Army or Goodwill. It is "used" as in Ralph Lauren, Ferragamo, and Kate Spade. So a lot of their stuff is very, very expensive, despite having been both pre-owned and pre-worn. I just wanted a little sweater-thingy that wasn't too expensive or too ugly. Heh. Um...I'm now wearing a mustard yellow, long-sleeved cardigan sweater with snap buttons down the front and ribbed cuffs on the sleeve, a ribbed collar, and ribbed hip area. It's a little too big and it's totally unflattering...but! it was only $20. Yes, I paid $20 for ugly, but when I had those twenty dollars, I also had a choice between freezing or broiling at my desk. Now, I'm am down $20 but I am also down sweatiness and up warm arms. Still, I think I will stash this in my desk drawer at the end of the day and it will be my official "I forgot my regular, decent-looking sweater and now I must wear this $20 knit monstrosity like a hairshirt to punish myself" sweater.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home