Silly me, what was I thinking?

Random musings that Chris and the cats don't want to hear anymore...

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Dreams fulfilled

I'm pretty good at distinguishing between needs and wants when it comes to spending money. Naturally, I'd love all the top-of-the-line cookware and kitchen gadgets, but I'm practical about my purchases. For the things I decide I really need, I generally buy the best that I can reasonably afford, which is not necessarily the thing I desire. (For example, a few years ago, I bought a used 6-quart KitchenAid stand mixer for $100 from a bakery that was going out of business, instead of dropping $300+ on a shiny new red one. My beat-up mixer works fine, of course. It's just not as pretty.) This, of course, leads to a lot of coveting and longing looks when I walk by a Crate and Barrel or Williams-Sonoma store. And that's where birthdays come in handy. When Stella asked what I wanted for my 31st birthday this year, I knew my answer: a Le Creuset 5.5-quart enameled Dutch oven.* It fills that niche between my 4-quart pot from the Martha Stewart set we bought in New Haven (too thin to maintain consistent temperatures) and the large stockpot we got as a wedding gift (often too big and definitely too tall for certain recipes).

It finally came on Thursday and it's everything I dreamed it would be: a beautiful orange-y red that gets darker towards the bottom; heavy; heats evenly; and a cinch to clean (nothing sticks to the enamel!). I made a stew-y soup in it on Sunday and was inordinately pleased when the onions sizzled in it just like on TV. I have big plans for this piece of cookware, including fried chicken, paella, and maybe even a peach cobbler, once I get a chance to hit the farmers' market. Anyone want to come over for dinner?

*Chris, being the 13-year-old boy he is, can't not snicker every time I mention my new Dutch oven. Especially because the color is called "flame."

4 Comments:

At 10:35 AM, Blogger Eat the Love said...

I ABSOLUTELY would want to come over for dinner. but alas, I think AJ would die because of the cat.

I believe I did give one of them le crueset dutch ovens to KAREN for her wedding and she loves it.

Ah to have nice cookware....I can only dream of it....We are still working with our cheap T-FAL that I got post college. I covet ALL CLAD....

 
At 2:54 PM, Blogger Felisa said...

Irvin,
Maybe one day I'll cook dinner, wrap it up, and bring it over to your house.

 
At 9:40 PM, Blogger Julie said...

Flaming dutch oven, hehe...

If we didn't have to drive 600 miles we'd totally come over for dinner :)

 
At 3:53 PM, Blogger Rita said...

1) Yes, food. Sometime!!

2) The "flame" color is the BEST! It's so cool. I recently tried to buy a Le Creuset teakettle in red that didn't work out nearly so well. (Blogged about it, somewhere.)

3) I'm not practical like you. I would have kept waiting on the used mixer (probably another 2 years) until I felt like I had done enough "penance"/stalking to justify the additional $$ for shiny new, and not sigh when passing all the windows. The upshot of which is I still don't own most things I covet.

It's much more practical to start using the thing right away! Totally. But I can't get around the idea that once I buy something, it's forever.

Makes decisions really heavy, actually. :P Plus, there's a weird mix of super ghetto and nice objects in our life, as a result.

r

(Once, Irvin was amused to overhear me and D debating this cheapo laundry hamper D got, as a solution to all our dirty clothes lying on the floor. My commitment issues were all afire. Eek.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home