Silly me, what was I thinking?

Random musings that Chris and the cats don't want to hear anymore...

Tuesday, July 20, 2004

Boy, nothing burns the roof of your mouth like overheated refried beans. Ouch.

There's a real possibility that I could have a full-time job very soon. My interview went well despite my wardrobe disaster, the resultant running in heels, and a sweat-drenched first interview. I won't know until the end of this week or beginning of next week because one of the decision makers went on vacation the moment after I stepped out of her office (was my sweating really so offensive?). Despite my complaints about unemployment, the moment I realized I could be back in the 9-to-5 world, I panicked, thinking of all the things I hadn't gotten around to doing during my time off. Nothing makes you appreciate time like not having it.

But I am fundamentally a lazy person. I always try to do a good job at work, because I was brought up to believe that if you're going to bother to do something, you should do it well. And I don't want others to think I'm a lazy motherfucker. But if there's no job to be done? Well, you can find me on the couch, curled around the cat, watching bad daytime TV or Buffy DVDs. And honestly, I try to do that well, too. To the point of being in my pajamas with unbrushed hair and teeth at 2 in the afternoon. My only worry is that the UPS guy will ring the doorbell and have to deal with my dragon breath. How embarassing.

It's probably good that we don't have cable TV yet. Even I can stomach only so much Judge Judy and Family Feud, and am forced to pretend to do other things. Plus, it provides an incentive for me to go to the gym, because see, we belong to a fancy-pants gym. A gym that has a TV monitor attached to every cardio machine and fancy-pants cable channels. I've never had cable, except for a short time in college, when I had no time for television. So now, I go to get my daily fill of brainless TV, like VH1's "I Love the 90s," to which I am hopelessly addicted, and E!'s Britney Spears special. I am of two minds about watching such blatantly crappy material in public. On the one hand, it's kind of embarassing to be that girl, the one who watches celebrity fluff, the one whose brain is obviously the size of a pea because why waste your time when there's CNN! and CSPAN! and PBS!, the one who, on more than one occasion, has nearly fallen off the elliptical machine in an uncoordinated spasm of limbs and snorting laughter. On the other hand, I'm already embarassing myself by running in public, and anyway, I'm multitasking.

1 Comments:

At 8:22 AM, Blogger Julie said...

Let's hear it for multi-tasking :)

I use the gym on campus. No TV monitors here. The only multi-tasking I do is read while walking on the treadmill. But I'm all for celebrity fluff. Did you know that Prada got its big break 9 years ago when Uma Thurman wore a Prada gown to the Oscars? Go fluff!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home